Choosing Paint Colors
You would think that choosing a paint color would be a fun and creative process... but it can often prove to be totally maddening! Color is completely affected by its light source, so a single color will literally change its look from room to room and from morning to night. The time of day, the light source (artificial and/or natural), and room direction (ex: north vs. south facing) all impact how your eye sees the color. Below are a few tips for embarking on your paint color selection process.
- Finalize your lighting design (window coverings and artificial light sources) before testing paint colors. This is uber-important!
- Don't expect that a single color can be used throughout a house and look the same (and good) in every room.
- Stick to a single paint manufacturer. I personally like Benjamin Moore's color collections the best.
- Be wary of the color names. For example, Benjamin Moore's 'Intense White' is actually a pale gray.
- Start your search with a short list of colors recommended by a designer. My short list is below!
- If you live in Seattle, I can help! Schedule an on-site paint color consultation.
MY FAVORITE BENJAMIN MOORE TRIM COLORS:
MY FAVORITE BENJAMIN MOORE NEUTRALS: